50

A couple of weeks ago we went to Bear Lake with my family to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary. It was an interesting weekend for several reasons. We had never stayed under one roof before with my family. My only sibling who is a parent is my sister, who has a two-year-old. So we were a little anxious about kids being loud and keeping people up. Katie doesn't care to spend too much time in the company of extended family, preferring the comfort of our own home. And there were just the usual stresses of fitting everything in the van that we needed for a long weekend, and the three-hour drive with them.

My parents rented a very nice cabin with three floors, up on the hillside overlooking the lake.
We got to catch up with everyone, as my sister and one brother had never even met James, and my other brother had only seen him once in passing when we visited Salt Lake overnight. We also spent time talking with my parents about their personal history, asking questions about their early lives. I wrote down as much as I could for safe keeping.

We played in the lake. I was busy wrangling kids, so this is the only photographic evidence I have.


Then Sam punched a pinata and decapitated it with one stroke.

I can't believe this kid is going to be 12 in a couple months. Anyway, I thought it was a nice trip, and it helped us overcome a little of the hesitation we have at the prospect of traveling anywhere with 4 kids in tow. Now that James is starting to walk, we'll be a little more easily mobile. I enjoy having little kids; from about 18 months to age 5 is my favorite. But at the same time it will be nice to move into an age of more independence soon and be and ready to start having some more family adventures.


Comments

Lori said…
Glad you survived and also had fun! Even though a poor piƱata suffered.

Popular posts from this blog