Meet James Hiller

Meet James.



I thought it might be interesting to do a post about each of my kids as a sort of snapshot that could be fun to look back at later. So I'm going in reverse order for some reason.

James was the kid we were expecting seven years earlier, when in fact Allison showed up. Katie had his name all picked out and everything. We always planned on this being our last child, and I thought sooner would be better before we got even older, so there's only 2 years between Clara and him (4-year gaps between the other kids).

James joined the family one hot summer evening at almost midnight. I decided to give him the middle name of Gideon, after my favorite person in the Book of Mormon. We had just moved to Idaho 4 months earlier, so we didn't have a lot of family around. But we usually keep to ourselves after having a baby anyway. I can take time off of work and do the cooking and more or less take care of things for a while as Katie recovers.

James has mostly followed the pattern established by our other kids. He started crawling quite late (around 10 months, I think) and had no teeth until he turned one. But he started walking a little sooner than the other kids, and started talking around his birthday. With 3 older siblings he seems impatient to do what they do. He's 14 months old now and says words including "cat," "mom, "dad," "water," "up there," and probably a few more I'm forgetting at the moment.

Where James stands out for us is his cheerful nature. None of our other kids was super colicky or anything, but he was probably the best baby in overall demeanor. Katie used to call him Guy Smiley. He's running around with the other kids playing chasing games, making animal noises, and generally being pretty adorable.

This is still my favorite photo of him.

I like this one too.


His personality is still coming along, but I think he's going to be a handful like Clara, who will be the next to get her own post. I'm glad you came to our family, buddy.


Comments

Lori said…
He's a cute little guy! Or Guy Smiley!
)en said…
Pretty cute. I love when families get a good one at the end--just how it should be.

Popular posts from this blog

50