I'm an 8 Again...

Okay, there are two ways to go about this. The first is to read whatever it is that I'm about to write. The second is to just watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5W6JyF7br8&t=2s

If that link is dead, or you just want to read instead of watch a video for some reason, I recently went to the emergency room. I had only been once before as an adult, although my parents claim I went all the time as a kid.

I had been feeling sick in the gut for a few days, and one day my body decided that it would try to wring everything out of me. I was trying to keep hydrated, but my mouth was completely dry and I was starting to get a dehydration headache. This had happened in just a matter of hours, so between that and writhing in agony I decided to go to the emergency room. Katie drove me, and when we arrived I thought about the part where Brian Regan talked about how valet parking would be ideal at a hospital.

I got checked in after a few minutes. I did get my own room, unlike Brian. Instead of someone moaning behind a curtain there was a woman crying across the hall because she was being taken to jail. She was pretty belligerent to the officers who came to take her away.

After a discussion on what was going on, they got to work getting me an IV of saline, and they gave me morphine just like Brian Regan got. It was a low dose, so I didn't go all weird, but it was super nice to feel the relief. Then they did a CAT scan, which I'm really looking forward to being billed for, and then I sat around for another hour or so and got a second dose of morphine and another liter of saline.

With the tests they did, they decided it was just my crohn's acting up rather than an infection, so they consulted with my gastroenterologist and got me some meds to get things back under control. And I was on my way. Within a couple days I was feeling pretty normal again, so things are okay. Overall I'm glad I decided to go instead of trying to tough it out (although again, I haven't gotten the bill yet, which may change that opinion). I probably would have ended up a desiccated mummy by the next day anyway had I stayed home. Yay for medical science!



Comments

)en said…
Aaagghh what a nightmare. I am truly sorry for your misery but yeah, on the bright side(?)- science. I have a few crohns friends and it's one of those things that makes me say a prayer of thanks for pretty functional intestines (thus far). Are there things you do keep it at bay? Sorry, you prob didn't necessarily want to go into detail but I'm interested, so too bad
Joel said…
All I usually need to do is take my maintenance meds. But I'm so rarely sick that is often easier to stop taking it than to keep paying for the prescription every month. It's usually the most expensive tier of prescription drug (usually $30 to $50), and without insurance it would be about a thousand dollars a month. But as long as I take it, I'm fine. I don't have to avoid certain foods or anything.
Lori said…
I am sorry you have to deal with that. Wish I knew an answer for you. But i am glad you are feeling better!

Popular posts from this blog

50

Big Changes

Big Changes