Splash

It was like being in a TV show.

Katie was rinsing out the tub when she turned it off, but the water kept coming out. Hot water. So not only was there a small danger of the tub overflowing (fortunately it wasn't clogged), but it was using all the hot water.

For a couple of weeks the handle had been giving some resistance when we shut it off, so we mostly had the kids using the other tub. But that day it broke. I removed the handle, but the only piece of hardware in there I could access was turning freely without affecting the water. Fortunately, our next-door-neighbor does some plumbing work on the side, so I shut off the main water to the house and ran over for help.

Fortunately he was home (he's a firefighter and therefore can be gone for a day at a time) and kindly came over to take a look. He could immediately tell that something called a "cartridge" had gone bad. It's a simple fix with the tools he had. Fortunately, Home Depot had the right replacement part, so I went over and got it, and he was able to get it fixed right away.

Apparently several of the houses in our neighborhood have had the same problem, and our neighbor had even had to replace the part in his own house. So it's just a bad batch, I guess. Apparently you can call the company (Moen) and they will send you a new one, so I could theoretically replace it in the package and return it to the store. Anyway, I'm thankful for good neighbors.

Comments

)en said…
Quel disaster! A plumber is on my list of specific friends to make, along with electrician and one with a boat. I already have a doctor and a chef so I'm doing well.
Joel said…
Yeah, a mechanic is another one. We had a mechanic friend in Lehi who lived across the street. That was so sweet. But they moved, and then we moved. It was sad.

Popular posts from this blog

50

Big Changes

Big Changes