Water Water Everywhere

This morning was rough. The kids had spring break last week, so we were all back on an earlier schedule. And when I went downstairs to wake up the kids for school, I could hear a noise. I thought it was a toy that had been left on, but as I turned the lights on I noticed several things, First, my feet were wet. Why were my feet wet? Also, the noise was water dripping on something on the floor. I looked up and noticed huge paint bubbles on the ceiling, with water dripping down in several places.

Naturally, I panicked. I've heard too many horror stories about flooded basements and mold and huge cleanup jobs. I shut off the water and got the kids up and off to school while waiting for plumbers to open for the day. I called someone, who came and told me I needed to get in touch with my homeowner's insurance and a disaster restoration company.

I called the insurance company, and they were not particularly helpful, But I initiated the claim and called the restoration company the plumber recommended. They were able to come out and get to work in the early afternoon. The cause was a leaky connector in the pipes leading to the kitchen sink. So they cut out the affected sheetrock in the ceiling, the plumber came back and fixed the connector, and they left some fans blowing to dry things out.

All in all, things could have been much worse. We caught it very early, and there was no concern about mold or widespread damage. In a few days or a couple weeks things should be back to normal, and aside from paying for the deductible we will likely be okay. So, blessings.




Comments

Lori said…
glad it was not bad...and i love the fly away hair!

Popular posts from this blog

Big Changes

50

Big Changes