The Agony and the Ecstasy

I finally decided to update the blog. So I picked a random template and it seems nice enough. Maybe I'll customize it one of these days. Or maybe I'll keep switching it out until I find an especially awesome theme.

There hasn't been a lot on my mind in particular, so let's see where this goes.

I'm struck by the intense contrasts of parenting. For example, a few nights a week I come home from work, and Katie drops Sam off at taekwondo and heads to the gym. I stay home with the other three kids and try to make dinner. It can be pretty stressful to prepare a meal with constant demands for something or other, fights, and whatever else is happening. I feel good that I'm giving Katie a little time to herself, but it's exhausting.

Then there are the other times. I usually read a chapter in a book to Allison before tucking her in, and it's just the two of us for a few minutes. Or I hold Clara and sing to her to rock her to sleep. She's almost four, but I really enjoy doing it. Or Sam and I talk about a science question he has. The other week at church I had James and Clara on my lap and just felt a wonderful feeling of contentment. It's so hard, but moments like that are so worth the trouble.

And then James dumps a whole box of cereal on the floor, and the cycle begins again.

A couple random recent photos.

My sister sent Allison this sweet jacket for her birthday.

Another of the "Ladies" series.

Comments

)en said…
Adorable, Joel. What’s life with no contrast?
Lori said…
You are doing amazing! I can only imagine being a parent can be so hard at times. But so full of blessings too. I think you are doing great!

Popular posts from this blog

Big Changes

50

Big Changes