Kneezy Does It

Okay, I'm running out of knee puns to use as titles for posts.

Last week I had the arthroscopic knee surgery that I had wanted to get for a while. It turns out I'm really close to my out-of-pocket insurance max this year, so the $10k operation should cost no more than $300. So it made sense.

It was interesting. I went to the hospital, they shaved part of my leg (a first for me), and then I was in and out within about an hour. I didn't get to talk to the doctor, so I'll have to wait for the follow-up next week to see what he has to say about how much damage there was.

The recovery has been... well, I have nothing to compare it to. I used crutches off and on for the first two days or so, but I was allowed to put weight on it even right after the surgery. It was just removing some damaged cartilage from the knee cap, rather than repairing a tendon or something major. That being said, it's been really swollen and pretty uncomfortable. Not much pain, though, and I decided not to fill the heavy-duty prescription they gave me. The worst part was having a bunch of bandages on it for three days and not being able to shower. (They said I could use press and seal plastic wrap if I needed to, so I did try that.) The hair growing back was itchy, and I honestly think I would lose my mind if I had to have a cast on for 6 to 8 weeks.

I had the surgery Thursday and took Friday off of work, then came back to work today. So while it's weird to walk around limping, I am perfectly capable of sitting at a desk typing. So really, I'm grateful to not have a job requiring manual labor, and I'm glad that none of the foolish things I did as a kid required me to have a cast. I should be walking normally sometime in the next couple weeks, and then sometime will be able to get back to running—with luck, farther and faster than before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50

Big Changes

Big Changes