Taking Care of Businesses

This is kind of a weird thing to think about, but sometimes I get as sad about a company going under as I do a person having struggles.

October 2013: I purchased a Pebble watch. As far as I know, it was the first smartwatch on the market. I loved getting notifications on my wrist, and being able to send canned responses without getting my phone out. I could control my music, customize the watch face, track running stats, and do a few other things from it. It was just black and white, but it lasted several days between charges. Later they developed a color display, which I also got, and loved it. Then other companies started releasing them with touchscreens and other bells and whistles.

Eventually Pebble went out of business and was acquired by Fitbit, which would supposedly incorporate some elements from the Pebble operating system to their products moving forward. I now use a Garmin smartwatch that is heavy on the running data and GPS but doesn't have quite as many everyday functions as something like an Apple watch. It's nice, but I miss my Pebble.

Since moving to Idaho Falls it seems like lots of other businesses have gone under, both local and national. First was a cool used bookstore. Then a local entertainment store that had music, movies, comic books, and hipster sporting goods (frisbee golf discs, etc.). It was a fun place to browse for toys. Then Toys R Us shut down, and K-Mart, and now Shopko. Others are local restaurants. It's weird since the community is growing quickly.

I'm a little worried about the company I buy my running toe socks from, called Injinji. A few years ago they had tons of styles, but now it's far fewer. I don't want them to go under, so I need to order a few more pair. You should, too. Try their everyday styles. Your feet will sweat less, and you'll be less prone to blisters.

I know corporations aren't people (unless you are a GOP lawmaker), but they represent someone's dreams. So... support your local business? Yes. That's a good idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Changes

50

Big Changes