Give Me a "P"!

I’m not really a patient person. I think I’m a lot more patient now than I used to be, but I’ve still got a long way to go, particularly when I’m having a conversation.

Sometimes I’m talking to someone who is taking too long to get to the point, and my mind wanders. It’s hard not to daydream about slapping them and screaming, “Get to the point, you steaming mound of turkey fertilizer!” When I forget myself and actually shout it, that’s generally the end of thoughtful discussion (although it does change the subject, so maybe there’s something to be said for that tactic after all).

The other problem I have during a conversation occurs when I’ve already thoroughly researched the issue at hand and familiarized myself with the different points of view before reaching a conclusion. Nevertheless, once the topic is introduced, people will proceed to inform me that I am incorrect because of some point which I’ve already considered. Basically, I’m five steps ahead of them in the conversation, and my brain is about to eject itself and parachute to safety if I stick around much longer.

So if, in the middle of a conversation with you, I clutch the top of my head and start running away screaming, I'm sorry. Please don’t take it personally.

What kind of things do you have trouble being patient about?

Comments

)en said…
I go berserk when people stop in the middle of the sidewalk. I just can't handle it. Or when they get to the top of the subway exit and stop there. Gaaaah!

but, your story reminded me of something I do. Sometimes, when people are telling me a story i've already heard, i'll totally ruin it and say "oh yeah and this happened.. you already told me" which totally deflates them and the mood. I really should just humor them, hear it again, and everyone will be happy. I think I do it because i think i'm doing them a favor, like--don't waste your time-- but i'm just not.
Jer said…
You're wrong, Joel. Haven't you considered that the monkeys COULD be out to get me?

I want to kill people who stay in the middle of any kind of walkway, be it hallways, isles, or crosswalks, move at a crawl, and stop occasionally in a place where you can't get by and don't notice that you're there and will you just FREAKING GET OUT OF THE WAY YOU FLAMING PILE OF PIGEON DROPPINGS...

Sorry. I guess I can't type about it without getting impatient, either.

Popular posts from this blog

50