Uncompromising Compromise

I’m kind of an all-or-nothing person. If there’s one piece of pie left, Id rather have it all or give the whole thing to someone else than split it. I can remember being the same way about dating. If someone didn’t want to date me, and we weren’t friends originally, I had no desire to try to be friends. I had enough friends; the last thing I wanted was to hang around someone, pining away after her.

I’m not saying compromise is bad. There are many situations in which it’s the only sensible solution, especially in big, important issues. But when it comes to the little things, compromise just tends to leave everyone feeling unsatisfied. At least if one of you gives in, the other will be satisfied. This is part of the idea of recognizing that you can’t expect to get your own way all the time.

Comments

Jer said…
....or any of the time...
)en said…
ha ha. right, jar.

i'm a little bit different w/the pie thing. maybe this is cheesy but my husband and i will split the last slice and keep splitting it until we each have a tiny crumb. and then we stare at each other for hours and bask in the love. j/k

Popular posts from this blog

50